Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wing King Sings

During the Taste of the Ridge, I met Tom Casatelli, the owner of Kettle Black, a restaurant and bar on the corner of 87th and 3rd. About a week ago, I had the privilege of sitting down with him a second time, this time prepared with questions regarding the man and his business. Over the course of the interview, he revealed the origins of his establishment, his favorite Bay Ridge restaurant and the pros of being part of the food scene here.

Q: My understanding is that you went from firefighter to bartender to owner of the kettle Black. How did that come to be?

A: "Actually, I was a bartender before I was a fireman. I started when I was 18. I bounced, then one night, a bartender didn't show up. I was asked to step behind the bar and they liked me. I was in the marines, my friend was a firefighter. He convinced me to take the test. I was #2 on the list. After 9/11, I was in the process of retiring... I was bartending earlier, I always loved it. I just went and did it [opened the Kettle Black]. I took out a home equity loan on my house."

Q: Do you think the investment was worth it?

A: "It was worth it."

Q: Do you still get behind the counter from time to time?

A: "No, I think I've bartended twice. Yeah, I was so busy running the place I couldn't enjoy it."

Q: Do any of your skills from your past professions help with managing the restaurant?

A: "The marine corps, gave me the self confidence necessary. The fire department taught me if you want something, don't wait for it. It could be gone tomorrow."

Q: Do you think there's a balance between restaurant and bar at the Kettle Black?

A: "There's a balance, because I love to cook. I enjoy the challenge. We wanted a fair place where people could eat economically."

Q: Do you feel like the restaurant and bar community in bay Ridge is supportive or competitive?

A: "It's supportive, because when I first opened up, we helped each other. We're all tight, we're all friends. If you nickel and dime in this business, you'll be out of business."

Q: Is there anything you think is a problem?

A: "You can go from the best to the worst in one evening."

Q: What role do you play in deciding what the menu looks like at the Kettle Black?

A: "I pretty much created the original menu. And also the recipes. My committee has changed it since then."

Q: Do you help prepare any of the food?

A: "I don't anymore. I was cooking the chili. The original recipe, we used to cook, me and my brother.It was fun trying to find the right cheese. Everything."

Q: Is there a dish you're particularly fond of?

A: "I'm really proud of all the wings. We wanted to do something different with the wings. We just did the wing competition in green point. We were voted people's choice."

Q: You were at the Taste of the Ridge recently. Do you attend other charity or community events?

A: "I'm on the board [of the Taste of the Ridge]. If you've ever heard of the Bay Ridge Music Festival, I run that. We raised $25,000 last year. We're giving out $100 in gift certificates and beer to charities a week."

Q: If you could give one piece of advice to aspiring restaurateurs in the area, what would it be?

A: "Don't do it unless you want it with every bone in your body. I worked 12 hours a day for two years. It's like a baby."

Q: Is there one thing in particular you enjoy about owning the kettle black more than the rest?

A: "I love the people, the friends I've made. I love seeing repeat customers. People who come in and the waitress brings them their usual before they order."

Q: A Do you have a favorite restaurant or two you like to eat at when you're not at the Kettle Black?

A: "I love Chadwick's and any pizzeria in a five mile radius."

1 comment:

  1. This is good but in an interview piece, there's no rule that says you can't re-order the questions so the last answer is one that ends the piece better. Like the nickel and dimed answer. That would've been more fitting.

    ReplyDelete